Thursday, March 25, 2010

One Man, One Vote, One Table

I'm a busy man. I don't have time to write like I once did. It's been two months or more since I took the time to write a blog about something no one cares about, but today I feel the urge.

I don't know the reasoning behind two conferences in MLS. Sure I've heard the lame excuses but it is really just pure stubborn foolishness is it not?

Under the current format of confusing nonsense you have the reigning MLS Cup Champs, Real Salt Lake, having never won their conference. They are East Conference Champions due to the ridiculous seeding rules that does nothing to further the appeal of MLS.

I live in Salt Lake and I'm an RSL supporter. Do you think they should be the "Champs"? Under the current playoff format they deserve it. Did Columbus, after a season of excellence deserve to go out in the first round so easily? Absolutely not. It should have been harder for RSL and easier for Columbus to advance.

How does having a one table system balance the fairness element? Under the two conference system we could have a number two seed not being nearly as good as the number three seed from the other conference. Call it what you like, I will call it stupid. In fact the whole current thing has been covered ad nauseum so if you want more go look it up.

One Table, where Seed 1 plays Seed 8 at HOME with the 2nd leg AWAY. The reward for being the best over the course of the season should not be going on the road. Reward excellence, punish mediocrity. That's the American way I remember.

No one cares about a Conference Champion to any degree do they? 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. Top seed at Home then Away. Hit the road after getting the home crowd to help give you the win. Fans don't care about not advancing to the next round on the road.

The 2nd round would be a one off at the home of highest seed with winners advancing to the Championship at the neutral site.

Some other steps to take. Reward the season winner with a little, no, A LOT, more recognition and what every player likes. CASH

One table would also make the scrap for Seed 8 more entertaining. We may not have relegation but we certainly could make the chase for the Season Title and the chase for the last playoff spot a lot more interesting.

I'm just one man but my one vote would go for the one table system.

No comments: