Tuesday, July 15, 2008

World Cup Group Stage One 8-20-08

So, in just about 5 weeks the USA Men's team begins the 1st WCQ Group Stage away at Guatemala on August 20th. Let's say I'm a little bit more than cautiously optimistic.

In case you are wondering why....I'm gonna tell ya anyway so listen up. The US may think of itself as a CONCACAF Soccer power, and on most days they are, but here's the thing. And there's really no getting around this. Thinking you are a power and playing like a power are two different things.

We and I say we have been less than impressive in recent months. Don't hand me the silver lining crap of a good showing. In fact the match against England at Wembley was a disgrace. You know it, I know it so let's just admit it.

There are striker woes to say the least. Ching is not the answer and never was. McBride is past his prime. Johnson looks lost just like at Fulham. (and why does he fall down so much) Donovan is a better Attacking Midfielder. Dempsey is a Winger. Twellman? Please.

I'm going to solve your problem and give you two names. Jozy Altidore and Kenny Cooper. Can you say I'm wrong? No you cannot. Why? Because Boss Bradley hasn't seen fit to call them up and blood them enough to actually prove me wrong. He doesn't return my calls either. Anyone have his email?

I'll get back to the upcoming WCQ and address some more team failings over the coming weeks.

No comments: