Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Defenders Of The USA

I was reading Soccer By Ives and was looking at the probable list for the USMNT in Sout Africa next summer. For the first time I took a look at the list of the defenders and I have to say they don't exactly strike fear into any hearts do they?

This was the list by Ives. DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Chad Marshall, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein

The mind wobbles, as Kelly Bundy was fond of saying. The only one that will be top quality come 2010 in my book is Spector. Gooch is going to see about zero playing time for A.C. Milan so will be useless. I don't even want to talk about the rest. Good guys who have their moments (Boca is finished) but above average is about the norm for them. We have more problems than left back folks. Wake up to this.

I want players like Demerit and Goodson to succeed. I especially want Demerit to become a top notch one step below World Class defender. Do you see it happening?

No comments: